Good ol’ milk tart, the classic South African dessert which consists of a pastry crust, filled with a rich, creamy cinnamon custard dusted with cinnamon.
Off course there have been many shortcuts like swopping the pastry base for a simpler coconut tea biscuit one, or in this case I used phyllo pastry to turn this delicious dessert into bite size treats.
Here is how you can make them
Prep: 20 minutes
Refrigeration: 1 hour, minimum
80g butter, melted
385g tin condensed milk
2 large eggs
5ml vanilla essence
ground cinnamon, for dusting
1. Prepare the phyllo pastry cups by brushing muffin tins with butter, lay out one sheet of phyllo pastry and brush with butter. Continue doing this until you have 4 layers of pastry stuck together by the butter.
2. Now cut the sheet into squares large enough to protrude 1.5cm past the edge of the muffin cups.
3. Place the pastry into the muffin cups and bake for a few minutes till brown and crispy.
4.Combine condensed milk and milk, and microwave for 3 minutes.
5. Combine the cornflour, vanilla, water, eggs and salt. Gently whisk this mixture into the milk mixture until smooth. Microwave for about 5 -6 minutes, stirring every minute until the custard mixture starts to thicken.
6. Pour into the baked phyllo cups. Keep aside until cool then refridgerate. Dust with cinnamon.