Happy Sunday everyone!
The weather is changing, it is getting colder and I found myself digging up my winter jammies during the week. I spend most of my weekends getting up early – not by choice, my kids wake me up (GRRR!) – I shower and put on a fresh pair of jammies to start my day.
I posted my recipe for hot cross buns a few weeks ago which was incredible, however, I’ve been craving for something a little different. I turned a 2 ingredient dough recipe into spicy hot cross bagels and boy oh boy were they amazing!
We enjoyed them with some salted butter while they were still warm – that means I had to once again rush taking photos to satisfy everyone lol. I enjoy it though, how their faces light up when I try something new and especially when they get to take the first bite, the joy I tell ya!
Here is the recipe, I hope you guys give it a try.
Hot Cross Bagels
1 1/2 cup self-raising flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
2 teaspoons mixed spice
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup fruit mix
1 cup double cream yogurt
2 tablespoons cake flour
water to make a paste
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celcius, prepare a baking tray with baking paper, and set aside.
- Add all your dry ingredients to a bowl, add the yogurt, and mix with a wooden spoon or by hand until combined.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a log and shape into a bagel, ensuring to secure each end.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet. Mix the cake flour and enough water to make a thick paste. Pipe crosses onto the bagels and bake for 25-30 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Brush the bagels with apricot jam as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Serve warm with lashings of salted butter.