This week has been a horrible week, probably the worst week I’ve experience this year so far. Apart from the lockdown this week my family and I buried my Gramps. To be honest I’m still struggling to come to terms with the fact that he was admitted into ICU 2 weeks ago let alone his passing on Monday.
I’m struggling to cope and with this lockdown I’m currently pouring all my emotions into spring cleaning (my poor kids!) and baking bread instead of having to leave the house.
I know he loved freshly baked bread, so this ones for you Gramps❤.
Homemade White Bread
500g white bread flour
7 g instant yeast
1 Tablespoon runny honey
8 g salt
350 g room temperature water
1 whisked egg (for egg wash)
1. Stir the yeast into the water, allow to sit for a few minutes.
2. Add the flour, salt and honey into a bowl and slowly pour the yeast mixture in until all of the flour has been absorbed.
3. Knead by hand for 4-5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
4. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and allow to rise for 1 to 1.5 hours in a warm space.
5. Place the risen dough on a lightly floured surface and gently flatten. With the heel of your hand into a rectangle. Fold the bottom third of the rectangle into itself and then fold the top third down so that it overlaps.fold the dough in half one more time and then pinch the dough in where the layers meet. Place the dough in a lightly oiled loaf tin and allow to rise for a other hour or 1.5 hours.
6. Preheat oven to 225°C.
7. Once the bread had proofed, whisk up an egg and apply an even egg wash over the top. Place bread in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes turn down the heat to 175°C and bake for another 30-35 minutes until golden brown. The bread is cooked once you tap it at the bottom and it sounds hollow.
8. Once out the oven brush with melted butter and allow it to cool completely.