When I told my husband that this september we’ll be trying out American foods he thought things were going to get greasy. Boy was he wrong
This September I’m sharing our favourite recipes from the U.S with a (mostly) healthy twist.
We start of with this amazing sloppy joe sweet potato bowls.
Sloppy joe mince mixture
500g mince beef
1 medium onion finely chopped
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon Mrs. Balls Chutney
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 orange sweet potatoes
1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, combine beef and onion. Cook until the meat is mostly browned, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, chutney, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
3. Pour sauce ingredients over the ground meat and stir until evenly coated. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. To prepare the sweet potatoes, I steamed them in the microwave for 10 minutes, cut them in half and brushed them with butter and scoop out the potato filling and mix into the minced meat and mix together.
5. Fill the sweet potatoes up with the mince mixture, top with grated cheese and bake for 20-30 minutes in a pre heated oven at 180°.