All stuffed in a beautifully roasted mushroom makes for a delicious low carb side dish.
Browned butter sage, pumpkin and bacon stuffed portobellos
1/2 cup salted butter
1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups diced pumpkin
4 large cloves garlic , finely diced
1/2 cup diced bacon
pinch of salt
100 g gruyere
4 portobello mushrooms , washed
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Drizzle 2 oven trays with olive oil and set aside.
2. Combine half of the butter and sage leaves in a small saucepan, and melt over high heat until fragrant.
3. On the first tray add the diced pumpkin, garlic and bacon together. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle over the melted butter and sage, and toss to coat evenly. Roast for 30 minutes. Sprinkle over the gruyere cheese, change oven setting to grill and continue to cook until pumpkin is slightly crispy and browned around the edges.
4. Place the portobellos on the second tray, and roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Once roasted, drain any liquid from inside the caps and set aside.
5. Meanwhile, combine remaining butter and sage leaves in a pan over high heat. When butter melts and starts to bubble, reduce heat to medium and continue to bubble, while occasionally stirring, until the butter begins to change to a deep brown colour. Remove from heat immediately.
6. Divide the roasted pumpkin and bacon mixture by 4 and spoon into each portobello mushroom. Drizzle the browned butter onto each mushroom and top with the crisp sage leaves.