It’s been years since I’ve tried my hand at making Hungarian Tart, and it all started with me cleaning out our fridge the other day to find a lonely jar of apricot jam. With the current lockdown we’re experiencing I’m trying my best to keep myself from going out hence the cleaning.
Hungarian tart is a firm family favourite, from my kids to my aunts and uncles. They all love adore it, serve these at one of my family gatherings and you’ll surely be the favourite!
Here’s how you can make these classic cookie bars.
125g unsalted butter
1/2 cup icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups cake flour
1/2 a cup of jam (any flavour you have hoarded in your fridge)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare your tray with baking paper.
2. Cream butter and icing sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla essence. Add sifted dry ingredients and mix to form a soft dough.
3. Keep 1/3 of your dough aside for the topping and press the rest into your prepared tray as evenly as possible.
4. Spread jam on the base and grate the remaining cookie dough over.
4. Bake for 35 minutes, once cooled dust with icing sugar.