This has got to be one of the most requested recipes I’ve received since lock down. Homemade swiss rolls are easier than you think and my husband in particular who sadly does not have an insatiable sweet tooth like his better half has given me strict instructions not to share this with anyone else 😅.
These swiss rolls literally just melt in your mouth, I’m not very good with words so you have to make it to actually understand my current obsession.
Chocolate Mousse Swiss Roll
2/3 cup castor sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup flour
15 g cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
Chocolate mousse filling
250 ml whipping cream
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
2 tablespoons icing sugar – adjust to your taste
80 g milk chocolate
80 ml cream
Chocolate Swiss Roll
1. Preheat oven to 180°c. Sift all the dry ingredients into a medium sized bowl.
2. Whisk egg whites in a large bowl till medium peaks form. Slowly add in the castor sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form and the mixture is glossy.
3. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla essence to the whipped egg whites.
4. Fold in dry ingredients. Pour batter into a swiss roll cake pan (sheet tray) that has been greased and lined with baking paper. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes.
5. Remove swiss roll from the oven and place the cake over a kitchen towel that has been dusted with icing sugar over the tray and roll and set aside to cool.
Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and pour cream over, microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in betwene until the chocolate has melted. Set aside to cool.
Whip cream along with icing sugar and cocoa powder till thick and combined. Add filling to swoss roll and roll up. Pour over chocolate ganache and decorate with chocolate shavings and berries.