I feel like I come up with the strangest desserts, but somehow they just work.
This is one of those times, sweet, crispy, and syrupy jalebi a classic Indian sweet has been upgraded to an ice cream sandwich with crushed pistachios and a touch of gold leaf.
These hit the spot, especially in this heat!
Here is how you can make them, watch the video which includes a step-by-step on how to make these on my YouTube channel.
Jalebi Ice Cream Sandwiches
125g cake flour
1/2 tsp yellow food colouring
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate if soda
120ml plain yogurt
120ml water – add more if needed
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Vegetable oil for frying
2 cups of white sugar
1 cup of water
5 crushed cardamom pods
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
Pinch of saffron, optional
2L vanilla ice cream
Roasted and chopped pistachios
Gold leaf, optional
Spiced sugar syrup
- Add sugar to a non stick pot, add in water and stir.
- Boil on medium heat until it reaches a 1 string consistency – watch my YouTube video to see how.
- Add in lemon juice, crushed cardamom pods and saffron. Remove from heat and set aside to infuse.
Note: if your syrup crystallizes, add in a little water and place back on the heat.
- Add cake flour, maidens, bicarbonate of soda, food colouring to a mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
- Add yogurt and mix in, add in water and whisk until the batter is smooth. The batter needs to be thick but flowing. If it needs more water, add a tablespoon at a time until it reaches the correct consistency.
- Pour batter into a squeeze bottle, this will ensure your jalebis are uniform.
- Heat the oil on medium heat, check of the oil is hot enough by adding a little batter to it. It needs to rise up without browning.
- Squeeze the bottle gently in circular motions from the centre moving out to get a pretty spirals. If your batter is too thick just add in a little water.
- While the jalebis are Frying check up on your syrup. If it has crystallized, add in a little water and return to the heat. The syrup needs to be warm and not hot. This prevents the jalebi from getting soft.
- Once the jalebi is done frying, add the the warm syrup. Remove after 4-5 minutes and set aside. Do this to the remaining jalebi.
- Once the jalebi have cooled down completely, sandwich together with your favourite ice cream and sprinkle with roasted pistachios and if you’re feeling a bit extra, add in a touch of gold leaf.
Full video up on my YouTube Channel.