I love everything about this unique appetizer. The earthy flavour from the camembert, the sweetness of the caramelized onion and the beautifully sliced biltong.
These glorious morsels are what the Italians call a crostini. Which when translated means little toast. So no doubt I had to throw out the pesto and have a go at this amazing appetizer turning into a South African wonder.
Friends I present to you Crostini with Camembert, caramelized onion and lashings of the most amazing biltong.
The flavours work so very well, these make the perfect starter to any occasion. I mean, carbs + biltong? biltong on carbs? Total winning combination.
Also, I really want to know what your favourite appetizers are?
Here’s what you’ll need
Prep: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
3 tablespoons of butter
1 onion finely chopped
100g moist biltong
1 round camembert cheese
1. Start of by slicing the baguette into 2cm thick slices.
2. Place them on a baking tray and brush with melted butter.
3. Pop tray into a preheated oven of 180°c and remove once lightly toasted then remove from oven and layer on slices of camembert and pop back till cheese has melted.
4. Heat up some butter and sautee the onions on low heat until dark brown, add in a pinch of salt and balsamic vinegar (optional).
5. Spoon caramelized onion on the toasted crostini and top with lashings of moist biltong.
6. Garnish with herb of choice.
2 thoughts on “Crostini with biltong, camembert and caramelized onion.”
This was absolutely delicious
Thank you 💖 I’m glad you enjoyed it.