South African Vetkoek crispy outside and warm and fluffy on the inside, enjoy them filled with curries mince, cheese and polony, chicken and mayo….. gosh the list just goes on and on. Look out for tomorrows post for more ideas.
5 ½ cups cake flour (+ more if need be)
2 teaspoons of Salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast
2 cups lukewarm water
1. In a large bowl, mix salt, sugar, water, and yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes. Add flour then mix dough until everything has come together.
2. Covers with a clean cloth and allow to rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1 to 2 hours or until doubled in size.
3. Turn out the dough on a floured surface, flatten to knock out air bubbles and knead to make firm, you may add flour as needed.
4. Roll out dough in to 2cm thick, and using a 5cm cookie cutter to cut dough.
5. In a large, sauce pan pour vegetable oil, until it is at least 5 centimeters high as too little will result in flat vetkoeks and place on medium heat.
6. Fry until golden brown about 3-5 minutes depending on size. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Let it cool
Split in half and fill with whatever your heart desires. Serve warm.