I thought long and hard about what I’d title this recipe, was it banana bread with chocolate chunks or just chocolate banana bread. Until I sliced into it, then I was sure it was dark chocolate chunk banana bread!
The only reason being that the chocolate chunk to banana bread ratio is slightly higher than the norm, and I see no problem with that.
I’ve just started working again after almost 4 years and I’ve been neglecting my blog because its been quite hard for me to juggle being a mom, a blogger/recipe developer/wife and now a working class citizen. I’m still adjusting to not seeing my kids as often during the day as I’m used too, still struggling to communicate with adults, and also the guilt I feel for not being in the mood to create the delicious food I’ve become accustomed too, sad! so I really wanted to get into the kitchen and re-create one of my recipes, banana bread was the first thing that popped into my head. It’s delicious, simple, and a family favourite.
Something my family truly enjoyed, especially since my husband is always hinting that its been ages since I’ve whipped up anything. I tried 2 variations with sour cream and with double cream yogurt and I have to say that the yogurt took the cake! I added in dark chocolate chips because…. ummm, well, because why not!
the result was something truly incredble, delicate and moist with the most divine gooey chocolate in EVERY.SINGLE.BITE! I really do hope you try this recipe, you will love me (even more) for it.
1 1/3 cups cake flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
2 cups ripe banana, mashed
1 cup natura sugar, light muscovado sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence or extract
1/2 cup double cream yogurt
1 cup Beyers dark chocolate slab chopped into chunks
- Preheat your oven to 180 C. Prepare your loaf pan with baking paper or grease with butter and dust with cake flour and set aside.
- Sift the cake flour, bicarbonate or soda and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together the melted butter and sugar until well combined. I was a bit lazy today so I opted to use my stand mixer for this part.
- whisk in the eggs, vanilla and yogurt until fully incorporated. Add the mashed banana and fold in the sifted dry ingredients.
- Add in the dark chocolate chunks, save a 1/4 cup of the chocolate to sprinkle on the top of your banana bread batter.
- Pour the batter into your prepped loaf tin (or cake pan) and bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Store at room temperature for 2 days in an airtight container, this loaf is really moist so its best to let it cool completely before slicing into it. I know this because my first attempt crumbled to pieces because I sliced it straight out the oven… I couldn’t help myself and after you try this recipe you’ll understand why.
Hope you try out my recipe, when you do please give me a tag I love seeing all your creations.