This reminds me of the time when I was pregnant with my daughter and I convinced my husband to make me a box mix of poppyseed muffins, he straight up refused but luckily it didn’t take much convincing to change his mind.
The cupcakes we’re delicious and for some reason this week I craved them once again. Before you start rolling your eyes, I am not preggers! It’s just a craving you guys.
But the woman I am now, who is currently juggling 100 different things at once opted for the easy way out, instead of making muffins I made lemon poppyseed pancakes, and can I just confess how perfect they turned out. They’re fluffy, buttery and the added lemon zest gives it such a pop of flavour. Each bite is absolute perfection, you have to give them a try.
Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes
2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 cup of sugar
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup poppy seeds
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup of icing sugat
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Fresh berries to serve
1. In a medium bowl, combine the poppy seeds, lemon zest, buttermilk, eggs, and vegetable oil.
2. In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients for the batter (flour, baking powder, bicarb, sugar, and salt).
3. Add to the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until combined.
4. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add a teaspoon of vegetablr oil in and allow to get hot before frhing up your pancakes. I like using my 1/4-cup measuring cup for this. Cook until the pancakes are cooked through and golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining batter.
For the lemon glaze:
5. Whisk together the the sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
Assembles pancakes on a plate, drizzle the flaze over and serve with slices of fresh lemon and berries. Enjoy!