I just took these gorgeous hot cross scones out the oven, and boy oh boy do they smell heavenly. I couldn’t resist slicing one open and smothering it with salted butter and I have to say they did not disappoint. I used a scone pre-mix for these as a base, I swopped the milk for buttermilk, added in mixed spice and cinnamon and a handful of raisins, sultanas and orange peel, because they wouldn’t have that great hot cross bun flavour if there wasn’t any fruit in it.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these!
Sasko scone pre-mix
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
75g sultanas and raisins mix
50g orange peel
1 tablespoon sugar
Small piping bag
Beaten egg for egg wash
1. Preheat oven to 200°c. Prepare the scone mix as mentioned on packing.
2. Mix in the dried fruit and spices until just combined. Do not overmix.
3. Press out dough onto a floured surface and using a round cookie cutter cut them into shapes and place them on a baking tray (I spray on baking spray before placing them on).
4. To make the crosses, I mix the flour, sugar and just enough water to make a thick paste. Place the paste into a piping bag and cut a little of the tip and pipe crosses onto the scones.
5. Brush on the beaten egg and bake for 12-15 minutes or until beautifully browned. Serve warm with lashings of butter and preserves.