I love South Africa, the people, the food and most of all the weather. How gorgeous has the weather been this past weekend? Amazing right?
I’m sure you’ve guessed that I am a summer baby, I adore summer dresses, summer sandals, summer salads, basically all things that summer brings, including ice cream!
Going through my blog and realised that I have only ever made one cheesecake, EVER! How ridiculous is that? I mean I love cheesecake and it’s so easy to whip up so I obviously had to create something extra delish to make up for it.
This strawberry and basil cheesecake ice cream isnt you’re ordinary cheesecake, it tastes like summer (yes, that is a thing), think grass between your toes and warm evenings that go on forever and the scent of braai’d meat drifting through the neighbourhood. It’s that good!
Strawberry and basil are one of my favourite flavour bomb combinations whether in the form of sorbet, cheesecake or ice cream. The cones are gorgeous and playful and a really great way to enjoy a scoop or two, just remember to line each cone with chocolate to prevent it from getting all soggy and grosse.
Here is how you can make it.
Strawberry and basil cheesecake ice cream
300g cream cheese
140g icing sugar
500ml whipping cream
10 small basil leaves
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of coconut oil
100g good quality white chocolate
- Whisk the cream cheese and icing sugar together and slowly add the whipping cream until peaked.
- Blend the strawberries and basil until smooth, then slowly drizzle into the cream cheese mixture.
- Add a pinch of salt and pour into a freezer safe container and allow to set for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Melt the chocolate with a teaspoon of coconut oil in a microwave at 10 second intervals or over a double boiler.
- Once the chocolate is completely smooth and melted start filling the cones and drain out the excess.
- Crush the strawberry wafer biscuits and set aside.
- Dip the rim of the cones in the melted chocolate and sprinkle on crushed wafer biscuits.
- Repeat until all cones are finished and allow to harden in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before using.