As much as I enjoy creme brulee and delicious pastries I would trade them all for a plate of warm goolgoola’s any day!
My grandmother used to make these for me as a kid, and if I’m being honest she’d make them for me as an adult too! She made the best goolgoolas and they’d always turn out perfectly round which amazed me because I still struggle with getting them shaped perfectly even after years of trying.
My Recipe is slightly different than hers, it contains mashed pumpkin, mixed spice, and cinnamon – YUM!
I’m pleased to say that after much trial and error with this recipe I have finally got it right, they are so delicious and got wiped out within minutes – this recipe is a definite must-try!
125 g of cooked pumpkin, pureed
113 g self-raising flour
25 g castor sugar or swop for light brown sugar
1 large egg
60 g milk
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
Oil for frying
- Heat the oil on medium heat in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Combine all the ingredients and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Fry spoonfuls of the batter until golden brown approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the oil and allow to drain on a kitchen towel.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve warm.