Why have one dessert when you can have two! Well, atleast that’s what I always say 😄.
Most of us know flan as crème caramel, the deliciously smooth creamy dessert drenched in caramel, this dessert is exactly like that, well sort of. The crème caramel is baked together with chocolate cake batter causing a massive explosion of flavour and textures with every bite!
Crème caramel is delicious but crème caramel with chocolate cake is just next level!
Here’s how you can make it.
Softened butter, to coat bundt pan
For the caramel:
120g granulated sugar
For the cake:
114g unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 Large egg
1 3/4 cups cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
For the crème caramel a.k.a flan
380g Unsweetened evaporated milk
385g condensed milk
115g plain cream cheese, room temperature
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
Preheat your oven to 180°C.
To make the caramel:
1. Add sugar and water into a saucepan, place on medium heat without stirring. Simmer until the sugar turns into a beautiful amber colour.
2. Use the softened butter to grease your baking tin, then pour in the hot sugar. Set aside. The sugar will harden, this is normal it will melt when placed back in the oven.
To make the chocolate cake:
3. Cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy, then beat in the egg. Sift together all the dry ingredients. Mix in the flour and butter milk mixture until just combined.
To make the crème caramel:
4. Add the evaporated milk, condensed milk, eggs, vanilla and cream cheese to a blender and blend for 30 seconds.
5. Pour the prepared cake batter into the pan, ensuring the batter is evenly spread. Pour the crème caramel liquid over the batter. Place your baking pan in a roasting pan and fill with hot water.
6. Cover with foil and carefully place in the oven, bake for an hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Once the cake is done, remove from the water bath set aside and allow to cool at room temperature for an hour.
8. Top with extra caramel and pecans and serve warm or cold.