If you, like me are a fan of cookies and cream, then you have to try this recipe!
Just like traditional cinnamon rolls these cookies and cream rolls are soft, fluffy and so very tasty!
The vanilla cream cheese icing is glorious, and the addition of bakers biscuits chocolate toppers is just pure perfection.
5 tablespoons (71g) water
5 tablespoons (71g) milk
3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon (28g) bread flour
all of the tangzhong (above)
496g Unbleached Bread Flour
21g Milk powder (I used Klim)
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
7g instant yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm whole milk
2 large eggs
85g unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 cup finely chopped Bakers Toppers biscuits
Cream Cheese Frosting:
140g cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cup icing sugar
finely chopped Bakers Toppers biscuits to garnish
To make the tangzhong:
1. Combine all of the starter ingredients in a small saucepan, and whisk until no lumps remain.
2. Place the saucepan over medium heat, and cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until thick and the whisk leaves lines on the bottom of the pan. This will probably take only a minute or so. Remove from the heat, and set it aside for cool for 10 minutes.
To make the dough:
3. Mix the tangzhong with the remaining dough ingredients until everything comes together. Let the dough rest, covered, for 20 minutes.
4. After 20 minutes, knead the dough — by hand or mixer – the dough will be sticky
5. Shape the dough into a ball, and let it rest in a lightly greased covered bowl for an hour, until puffy.Gently deflate the risen dough, divide it in half, and shape each piece into a rough rectangle.
6. Filling: Spread 1/3 cup softened butter over dough. Sprinkle sugar and chopped biscuits on top. Gently press down.
7. Starting with a long edge, roll the dough into a log. With the seam underneath, cut the log into 12 slices.
8. Repeat with the second piece of dough and the remaining filling.
9. Lightly grease a cake pan or oven safe dish. Space the rolls in the pan, leaving enough space for them to rise. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for 45 minutes.
10. While the rolls are rising, preheat the oven to 180°C.
11. Bake the rolls for 22 to 25 minutes, until they feel set. They will not turn a deep brown color and that’s fine, you don’t want to over cook the rolls.
12. Frosting: Beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add vanilla, salt, and icing sugar. Beat until smooth. Spread over warm rolls. Top with chopped Bakers Toppers biscuits.